Submissions for the Summer 2013 Issue (no. 120) are due Wednesday, May 1. There is NO THEME for this issue, subject matter is OPEN. Online and mailed submissions accepted. Please visit the SHOTS website for further information and guidelines.
A well-established, independent and reader-supported quarterly photography journal in its 27th year of publication, SHOTS Magazine reaches an international community of photographers, educators, galleries, museums, collectors and other fine art photography enthusiasts.
Thank you for your interest and support!
Editor & Publisher
Launching of thE Author book award and the historical book award www.rencontres-arles.com
Tel.+33 (0)4 90 96 76 06
The Book Award was created 44 years ago at the birth of the festival. It has been developed and grants nowadays two categories of books, as a contribution to the extraordinary expansion of photography publishing and to its optimal distribution:
Books are selected by an open call. Application for the two Awards is open to all photography books and catalogues that have been published between the 1st of June 2012 and the 31st of May 2013. Applicants must forward one application form filled for each book entered, together with two copies of each book by the evening of the 3rd of JUNE 2013 at the latest (date of postmark will be taken as proof of postage), to the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de la Photographie d'Arles (please find the address on the entry form).
Copies will not been returned and will remain the property of the Rencontres d’Arles. One copy will be deposited at the library of Photography Books of Arles, where it will be available for consultation. The other copy will be available for consultation by the public, in an exhibition at the Parc des Ateliers during the festival from July 1st to September 22nd, 2013.
The Rencontres d’Arles are giving a new dimension to the Book Awards, offering the copies presented in the exhibition after the festival to an international cultural institution dedicated to the worldwide photography in order to participate in the creation of a library, each year different.
Books received this year will enrich the library of the International Photography Festival of Valparaiso, Chili. Books received in 2009 have enriched the library of the Three Shadows Photography Art Center in Beijing, China, within the framework of the three years partnership «Caochangdi Photospring festival – Arles in Beijing». Books received in 2011 have enriched the library of the CAMM (Conservatoire des arts et des métiers multimédia Balla Fasseké Kouyaté, Mali), in the context of the Encounters of Bamako, African Biennale for Photography in fall 2011. Books received in 2012 have joined the library of the Market Photo Workshop, a school and gallery for photography, founded by David Goldblatt in 1989.
USEFUL INFORMATIONS Information and registration:
Tel.+33 (0)4 90 96 76 06
Call for Proposals Deadline - Saturday, June 01 2013
See more here: https://www.spenational.org/conference/details
SPE welcomes session proposals from member photographers, writers, educators, curators, historians and professionals from other fields. Topics are not required to be theme-based, and may include but are not limited to, imagemaking, history, contemporary theory and criticism, multidisciplinary approaches, new technologies, effects of media and culture, educational issues, funding, and presentations of work in photography, film, video, performance and installation. All submissions are reviewed by a 10 member peer review panel, which forwards recommendations to the 2014 conference committee. The National Board's Executive Committee approves the final conference program to assure the broadest representation of concerns in the field.
• Graduate Student – short presentation of your own artistic work and a brief introduction to your graduate program (must be enrolled in graduate program at time of submission)
• Imagemaker – presentation on your own artistic work
• Lecture – presentation on historical topic, theory, or another artist's work
• Panel Discussion – panelists (maximum of four) led by a moderator to discuss a chosen topic.
• Teaching & Learning – presentations, workshops, demos that addresses educational issues, including teaching resources and strategies (syllabi, videos, assignments, readings, class prep/setup, and PowerPoint presentations); curricula to serve diverse artists and changing student populations; seeking promotion and tenure; avoiding burnout; and professional exchange
Deadline: June 1, 2013 11:59 pm EST
Current SPE members are eligible to submit a proposal for consideration. Individuals who have presented at two SPE national conferences since 2011 (Atlanta) are not eligible. To join SPE visit https://www.spenational.org/members/join.
How to Submit
• Confirm or renew your SPE membership.
• Create an account at http://spenational.slideroom.com and follow the instructions provided. For technical support, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Submit portfolio (there will be a $10 fee per submission) in one of the five possible formats.
• Include name, address, phone, email, title of submission, additional speakers/panelists. All additional speakers must be confirmed at time of submission.
• A 500-word abstract detailing the work submitted
• A 250-word biographical summary for each intended participant
• Up to 20 images around 1280 x 1280 px at 72 ppi
Accepted presenters are eligible to receive a discounted rate on conference registration. (Co-presenters for graduate, imagemaker, lecture and teaching & learning presentations are not eligible for discounted rates.) Panel presentations are eligible for up to four discounted registrations (one moderator and up to three panelists). Current membership is required to participate as a conference presenter, co-presenter or panelist.
Special Award Details
Applicants to the Imagemaker track will be considered for the SPE Imagemaker Award, a cash award granted to first-time imagemaker presenters demonstrating outstanding achievement as determined by the peer review committee. Applicants to the Lecture track will be considered for the SPE Award for Excellence in Historical, Critical and Theoretical Writing. The cash award, originated in honor of Jennifer Yamashiro, recognizes excellence in writing in the field of photography among the Society's members.